A perfect dish for when you need some comfort food during these cold days
- 50 g red lentils
- 1 small onion
- 5 g ginger
- 1 tomato
- ½ green or red chili pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp Indian Garam Masala
- 1 clove garlic
- Rinse the lentils
- Cook the lentils with 150 ml water, ½ teaspoon of the Indian Garam Masala, ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ a teaspoon of oil in a pot and let it simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes. Make sure to stir sometimes so it doesn’t burn. In the meantime, prepare the Tadka.
- Slice the onion and the chili as fine as you can.
- Dice the tomato and peel and grate the ginger.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the onion and bake until soft.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the Indian Garam Masala, the chili, the garlic and the ginger and heat this for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and leave it on the stove for another 5 minutes. If you prefer the tomatoes softer, leave it on the stove for a bit longer. Stir once in a while.
- Before you serve it, mix the Dahl and the Tadka. It is very nice to eat it with rice or with some Naan.